Monday, February 1, 2010

Our First Month Home

Well, we have endured January in Canada, and I must say, it was nearly as cold as I was afraid it would be. Of the four weeks I have been home, probably three of those weeks have been fairly temperate (not going below -20C). I still have to work up the courage to walk Paul and Stan at the same time on snowy streets, but I think my reservations are more due to laziness than fear of the cold for Paul.

Our flight home was adventurous as always. Having Stan rejected on the flight at the last minute, missing our connection in a FREEZING Toronto and having to be shuttled in the dead of night to some hotel, just to be shuttled back 5 hrs. later. Although, I should definitely not complain, since they bumped some poor schmuck on the next days flight so that P & I could get out of dodge. Thank God for the infant advantage, is all I have to say!

The day after Paul and I arrived we moved into our house. We have lived here a month, and I can still count the pieces of furniture we have on one hand (and two of those are in Paul's room). However, it is a wide open, child friendly place for Paul to explore, and I have little need for much else.

Stan even has his own bedroom! The furnishings consist of one blanket on the floor. He's thrilled!

I had one week to get set up and organized before starting my practicum at Children & Family Services (basically Child Welfare). We are now beginning our fourth week, and thus far I have been really enjoying the experience. I am often intimidated, but I am captivated by all the new experiences, and all the ranges of cases that we are getting. It can be really emotionally taxing at times, something I don't notice until I have a day off and start reflecting about what has gone on at work. Then I sit and dwell on a particular situation until I am ready to move through it. Chris has been really excellent at listening to me when I need to debrief (social worker lingo), even though he's very far away and trying to focus on studying for the most important exam of his life. I try to limit talking about the heavy stuff, as it doesn't make 'feel good' dinner convo.

Paul is changing and growing into a little boy more and more each day. He's talking lots, so active that I can barely keep up, and being generally a wonderful human being, and joy of my life :) He has yet to tell me "no" ever, although he does make it abundantly clear when he's not interested in doing what you want of him. He even will take 'time outs' and will sit against the wall crying his head off until I tell him he can move.


Other than that, we're just sitting around waiting for Chris to come home. Three weeks and counting! I can't wait until the USMLE is over and we can enjoy some time together until clinicals start on May 5.

Happy February everyone! Enjoy the Olympics :)

No comments: